The mission of the SAA is to expand understanding and appreciation of humanity's past as achieved through systematic investigation of the archaeological record. The society leads the archaeological community by promoting research, stewardship of archaeological resources, public and professional education, and the dissemination of knowledge. To serve the public interest, SAA seeks the widest possible engagement with all segments of society, including governments, educators, and indigenous peoples, in advancing knowledge and enhancing awareness of the past.
The Society advances archaeological research and disseminates archaeological knowledge to the professional community and to the public at large.
- SAA improves the practice of archaeology and promotes archaeological ethics.
- SAA is dedicated to the conservation of the archaeological record.
- SAA serves as a bond among archaeologists worldwide in all segments of the archaeological community.
- SAA effectively serves the needs of the diverse constituencies that comprise its membership.
- SAA is an effective advocate for archaeology in the legislative and public policy arenas.
- SAA provides an effective and flexible structure for the Society's operations and initiatives.