Combating structural racism and injustice is a task that institutions and individuals must both take on simultaneously. At SAA, we want to be a part of the solution, and that means using our position to elevate and amplify the voices of historically underrepresented groups. Below, you’ll find member-led petitions, a resource list, and Task force updates. If you have suggestions for member initiatives or more information to be included here, please use the "Share Your Ideas" form at the bottom of the page.
- View the petition in support of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement [PDF 102 KB] and anti-racism in the SAA.
- View the petition organized by the Indigenous Archaeology Collective [PDF 178 KB].
Submit & View Anti-Racist Resources
- Use this form to share anti-racist resources & recommendations with SAA.
- View the compiled anti-racist resources.
Track SAA’s Progress
View the progress of the SAA Task Force on Social Justice in Archaeology, the SAA Task Force on Decolonization in North American Archaeology, and the revision of the SAA Statement Concerning the Treatment of Human Remains. Each has a separate spreadsheet and encourages your feedback.
Academic Collaboration Initiatives
COVID-19 has fundamentally reshaped education and academic practices, and the sharing of resources has become even more important to how we learn. SAA’s goal is to connect our members, and the public, with resources they can use to teach and learn remotely.
- Use this form to share educational resources & recommendations with peers.
- View the compiled educational resources.
Share Your Ideas—On Anything!
Members are always welcome to contact the President & members of the Board directly with their suggestions, but this form will be monitored by all leadership of SAA, including the Executive Committee.
Use this form to share your recommendations for how SAA can improve specific programs or provide better services. These suggestions will be collected, shared with the Board, and publicized on a quarterly basis.