Post-Meeting COVID Updates
The CDC recommends that people who were in close contact be notified of exposure. A close contact is someone who was less than 6 feet away from an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period and within 48 hours of the onset of the infected individual’s COVID symptoms or positive COVID test.
The SAA required vaccinations and had a mask mandate even though neither was required by state or local law. The SAA supplied free masks to all attendees who requested them. The SAA staff and board took daily COVID tests. We listed food and drink events on our website to allow attendees to make their own choices. The Hilton Chicago had sanitizer stations and wipes outside of each session room.
The SAA can only conduct contact tracing in relation to the meeting and cannot ask about people’s individual activities outside of the official meeting spaces and events. This means we can notify only the attendees of the meeting, which we have been doing regularly.
This list will be updated as more people notify SAA staff of results.
(Updated April 8, 2022)
9:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
 FORUM AFTER I GET MY DEGREE, WHAT’S NEXT? GOING FROM THE CLASSROOM TO THE PROFESSION
Time: 8:00 a.m.—10:00 a.m.
Time: 1:00 p.m.–4:15 p.m.
4:00 p.m.–6:00 p.m.
Time: 8:00 a.m.–10:45 a.m.
Time: 3:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Time: 3:45 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
5:30 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
Time: 8:00 a.m.–10:00 a.m.
Time: 8:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m.
Time: 1:00 p.m.–4:15 p.m.
Time: 1:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
The SAA Board weighed all options and waited until the last possible moment to make the most responsible decision possible. COVID appears to be a sad but possibly permanent feature of our environment, and we all are going to have to work together to find constructive ways to move forward.
To build the portal and define requirements for “fully vaccinated,” SAA will use CDC guidance as of January 15, 2022. It will take approximately two weeks to bring the portal online.
Because of COVID and the dramatic disruptions of this pandemic, the SAA understands that there may be new and unforeseen difficulties for 2022 program participants. For the 2022 meeting, we are implementing new procedures to accommodate these unexpected difficulties this year.
- If you are a PRESENTER in a symposium or general session, your session chair is responsible for downloading all presentations in advance of the meeting and bringing these presentations on a laptop to the session room. If your session chair is comfortable, they could allow you to send a video recording or a voice over power point presentation. SAA cannot guarantee the stability of the internet, which is not suitable for streaming a video or presentation stored remotely. It is important that the recording be on the laptop and not streamed. Because presenter abstracts are reviewed by the Program Committee in September and October, we cannot accept replacement presentations.
- If you are a DISCUSSANT in a symposium, forum, lightning round, or electronic symposium, your session chair has the option of replacing a discussant. A replacement discussant must register for the meeting and become a member of SAA by January 30, 2022, so staff can produce a correct final program and meeting app. No replacement discussants are possible after January 30, 2022. The session organizer needs to email firstname.lastname@example.org with their session title, and the name and email of the replacement. Because presenter abstracts are reviewed by the Program Committee in September and October, we cannot accept replacement presentations.
- If you are a POSTER PRESENTER, SAA staff will support traditional poster sessions at the 2022 physical meeting and has developed an electronic portal for PDFs of posters. The poster presenter guide provides details about presenting in-person and the e-Poster option. We recommend PDFs be uploaded to the e-Poster site by March 15, 2022. After March 16 and until April 6, SAA staff may not be able to help you with your upload because staff needs to set up, support, and take down the physical meeting.
Please note that all poster presenters will continue to have a presentation time slot during the 2022 annual meeting, so you may wish to ask a co-author or a colleague to bring and present your poster during your designated session time. The hotel does not recommend mailing any posters to any hotel guest as packages are difficult to locate. SAA staff will not able to help locate and pin posters to bulletin boards.
Thanks to the work of the Virtual Components Task Force, the Chicago meeting will have two virtual components: (1) two experimental hybrid sessions, and (2) e-Posters, which are the posters presenters have uploaded to a virtual meeting site.
All 2022 advance registrations include complimentary access to the virtual components as part of their meeting registration. (Advance registration will close on March 1.)
In addition, after March 8, individuals can purchase a virtual components access fee which will only give you access to the e-Posters and the two experimental hybrid sessions.
If you paid for an advance registration, you will receive an email on March 16 with the subject line: SAA87th! Accessing the Virtual Components website.
If you paid for the virtual components access fee, you will receive an e-mail with the link to the virtual components website as soon as the digital purchase is complete. You may need to check your spam filter for this email message.
All 2022 advance registrations include access to the virtual components site. All program presenters must be registered for the meeting and be a 2022 member.
Someone who does not plan to come in person and is not a program participant may be interested in online access to the virtual components. Access to the virtual components–only portion of the annual meeting will be available to purchase after March 8, 2022. The virtual components access fees will be
- Regular members: $20
- Students/retired/international-rate* members: $10
- Regular nonmembers: $30
- Students/retired/international-rate* nonmembers: $15
(*See the SAA Member Rates and Categories page for the list of international-rate countries.)
Please review the Poster Presenter Guide, which describes both presenting in person and also uploading your e-Poster to the virtual site. Poster presenters are encouraged to take advantage of both platforms.