Spanish Colonial Archaeology Sites


The following selected archaeology web sites have been evaluated for public-friendliness. Do you have a web page that could be included in this list of archaeology site web pages? Forward that information using the Feedback Form provided. This page remains under construction.


  Los Adaes, a Spanish colonial site (western Louisiana)

The Louisiana Division of Archaeology invites you to take a look at its new interactive web project about Los Adaes, a National Historic Landmark operated by the Louisiana Office of State Parks. The Los Adaes archaeology evidence includes the remains of a mission and a presidio. Although the settlement marked the eastern frontier of the Spanish Province of Texas, the presidio served as the provincial capital for more than 40 years. Los Adaes also represented a rare instance of cooperation among three cultures: the Spanish, the French, and the Caddo Indians. This online exhibit provides an opportunity for those who want to learn about life at the site, as revealed through history and archaeology. The interactive website presents information in layers, allowing the user to determine the amount and level of information received.

 

St. Augustine (Florida)

St. Augustine was founded on September 8, 1565, forty two years before Jamestown. This Florida settlement still survives, forming the oldest European town in the United States. This Florida Museum of Natural History web site presents historical archaeology research on the settlement as part of an on-line exhibit.

 

El Paso Missions (Texas)

The story of the missions of El Paso is quite different from that of other Spanish missions. Unlike the more well-known missions of South Texas, only three in the El Paso area were founded in an attempt to “settle” the native people of the area. The rest were founded for the refugees and hostages from the 1680 Pueblo Revolt in New Mexico, native people who had already been “missionized,” or acculturated, by the Spanish.

 

Mission San Saba (Texas)

On the morning of March 16, 1758, Mission Santa Cruz de San Sabá, a small, hastily constructed compound enclosed by a wooden palisade, was surrounded by 2000 hostile Indians including Wichita, Comanche, and Caddo warriors. The three Spanish priests in residence tried to placate the allied native force with gifts and offers of safe passage to the nearby Presidio, but the palisade was soon overcome and Father Terreros, the mission leader, was killed along with several others. Burned and shattered, the abandoned Mission San Sabá passed into history and legend.


Updated 11/30/2011