Statement of Purpose
The Digital Data Interest Group is organized to promote the preservation and sharing of archaeological data that are maintained in digital form. The long-term conservation and protection of the archaeological record demands not only that we preserve digital documents, images, and databases, but also that we make these information resources available to other scholars so that they may be effectively used to advance archaeological understandings of the past. The interest group will seek ways to foster the development of shared digital archives of archaeological data using software that can maximize their research value while securing the confidentiality of sensitive information, and ensuring that data sources are properly credited.
- Foster communication among researchers interested in sharing and preserving digital archaeological data.
- Provide a forum to foster collaborations among initiatives concerned with sharing digital data and to encourage involvement in there efforts by a broader community of scholars.
- Promote data sharing and preservation to the broader archaeological community.
- Sponsor occasional forums and symposia at the SAA annual meeting.
- An annual business meeting, held in conjunction with the SAA annual meeting, will provide an opportunity for members to share information and develop initiatives.
The interest group will disseminate information over the Internet and requests from SAA only calls for participation and link in SAAWeb link to a non-SAA server that will host the Interest Group. Beyond these needs, no expense to SAA is anticipated, no additional services are requested. The interest group does not request annual dues or operating expenses. The chair will be elected at each annual business meeting.